Apr 21
HomeLoginBrowseNewsTV SchedulePreferenceHelp
 

Search for a Star judgment day nears

Author: The Philippine Star

Reality TV has taken the world by storm as the public continues to exert its influence on the outcome of all sorts of competitions. Instead of allowing the usual powers-that-be to give them the idols that they should admire, the public is taking into its own hands and choosing the deserving. This is especially true of singing contests wherein the old applause meter has returned in the form of text votes. The more votes a contestant gets, the better his chances to win.

There are 10 finalists who were chosen through an intensive audition process, weekly contests and the monthly semi-finals in the Search for a Star talent show. These are Tina Braganza, Jerrianne Mae Templo, Iris Malazarte, Sarah Jean Badana, Romelo Valena, Cherryl Ubasa, Ma. Camille Relevo, Raymond Manalo, Genevieve Villabroza and Rachelle Ann Go. Only one of them will win the P1 million prize money and house and lot from Crown Asia. Find out who he or she will be in the Search for a Star finals that will be held on Saturday, March 13 at the Ultra Football Stadium in Pasig City. This will be emceed by the show’s regular host Regine Velasquez and aired live over GMA 7.

There will be judges who will determine the outcome of the competition but their votes will only comprise 70 percent of the final tally. The remaining 30 percent will come from text votes. That means that televiewers, the ULTRA audience, friends, relatives or fans of the contestants can help them win by joining the text brigade. They may not be able to influence the choice of the judges but they can certainly help their preferred finalist by texting. Lucky voters will also have the chance to win a cash prize in the amount of P50,000.

To do this, first-time participants need to register by sending their name and address together with that of their entry. Like this: STAR<name of finalist><name of participant, address>. For example, if you want to vote for Romelo Valena, your message should read like this: STAR MELO <Anna Cruz 123 Fairview St. Quezon City>. Registration is a one-time process per sim card. Participants need not register anymore if they want to vote again. The numbers to dial are 2364 for Globe and Touchmobile or 4627 for Smart and Talk N’ Text. Downloading of a picture message costs P15 each time. The correct names to be used in texting the votes are TINA, JERRIANNE, IRIS, SARAH, MELO, CHERRYL, CAMILLE, RAYMOND, GENEVIEVE and RACHELLE.

Search for a Star provides a launch pad for unknown, still unsigned talents. By next week one of these kids will be signed to a recording contract with Viva Records and preparing to do his or her first album. Then maybe, as in the case of Star for a Night winner Sarah Geronimo, he or she can also go on to motion pictures and television. And if this winner turns out to be truly exceptionally talented and appealing, then there might be another Regine Velasquez or even a Nora Aunor in the near future.

I also believe there are no losers in this kind of competition. At the very least, those who do not win will have won new friends, learned a lot about how it feels to be in show business and found out for themselves if singing is indeed what they want to do with their lives. Why, they have even performed on stage with Regine. Then there is also the fact that they all made their recording debut in the Search for a Star album, where they sing their contest songs. So whatever the outcome, they already have something to tell their grandchildren, "Hey, I was a Search for a Star finalist. Listen to this CD. "

Included in the Search for a Star album are Love Takes Time by Tina Braganza; If You Believe by Jerriane Mae Templo; Bakit Ngayon Ka Lang by Iris Malazarte; Somewhere by Sarah Jean Badana; Even Now by Romelo Valena; Larry Espinosa for Cherryl Ubasa; Go the Distance by Ma. Camille Relevo; Kailangan Kita by Raymond Manalo; Kailan by Genevieve Villabroza and Through the Rain by Rachelle Ann Go.

So, start the texting to vote for your favorite finalist. Then mark Saturday, March 13, 9:30 p. m. on your calendar to watch the show live at the ULTRA and find out first hand who among them will be the Star.

Source: The Philippine Star